Welcome back, Readers.
Have you ever had a shopping experience when you weren’t sure what to buy? I’m guilty for sure. As shoppers, we give a product too much credit because it looks pretty or simply because incessant advertising has sold us a dream.
Now it’s time to become conscious buyers and investigate what’s really inside our shopping bags. NO more broken promises of everlasting hair shine, volume and moisture. Haven’t you noticed that those results are all short lived;
I’m not saying that the 100% natural products have a longer effect, but overall- why sacrifice your hair for short lived effects? Some of these ingredients are harmful to your hair and your body. Why not use products that are all natural and can give you the same effects without damaging your hair?
Here are some common ingredients that are used in your hair care products:
- Fragrance – What’s the first thing we do when we buy a product? We smell it. Most likely if it smells good we might purchase it. News Flash: even though a product may show a picture of a mango, it doesn’t mean that they actually used the mango for the scent. Most fragrances are synthetic and can contain up to 4,000 separate ingredients. These synthetic scents can cause headaches, dizziness, allergic rashes, skin coloration and the list goes on. Clinical observations have proven that these fragrances can affect the central nervous system. That’s one of the reasons why many employers won’t let their employees spray these fragrances indoors.
- FD&C color pigments – We love something that has a pretty color, but not all color is safe color! Color pigments can cause skin sensitivity and irritation. These pigments contain no benefits for the skin or hair. They are made from coal tar, containing heavy metal salts that deposit toxins on the skin. You usual see them labeled as Blue No. 1.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – You can find these chemicals in just about any product that foams. They are used in car washes, garage floor cleaners and even engine degreasers. SLS & SLES can cause the skin to inflame and can weaken the immune system. They can harm young eyes so be sure to look at the ingredients listed in baby shampoo. I wonder if that’s why I wear glasses.
- DEA (diethanolamine) MEA (momoethnanolamine) TEA (triethanolamine) – these chemicals are also found in products that foam. These chemicals are hormone disrupting, which is restricted in Europe. They are known to cause cancer, such as in the liver and kidneys. You can find these chemicals in bubble baths, body washes, shampoos etc.
- Propylene Glycol (PG) & Butylene Glycol – They easily penetrate the skin and can weaken protein and cellular structure. They must be stored in plastic drums because they can dissolve a metal drum in 48 hours. These chemicals are so toxic that the EPA has required workers to wear protective clothing when handling.
- Mineral Oil – coats the skin like plastic which can clog the pores, which interferes with the skins ability to eliminate toxins. It also slows down skin function and cell development. Look at what’s in your baby oil!
- DMDM Hydantoin – is a preservative that can release formaldehyde, which in turn can cause joint pain, allergies, depression, etc.
You may be wondering, “If these chemicals are so harmful why are they being used?” Simple, the companies that make these products are after one thing “profit” and if they spend less money making the product then they have more money in their pocket. Shopping is a sport & just like all games you must learn the rules before you play.